Sunday, 23 November 2014

Africar 23/11/2014



Hello everyone.  Hope you are well.  I'm currently feeling sorry for myself with a tooth problem, which I hope will be fixed tomorrow, when I get to the dentist.  In the meantime, while I'm working on the edits for Sad's Place - a novel due in 2015 - I thought I'd let you know about a short story I'm about to publish, Africar.  It's roughly15,000 words long, but the file is around 20,000, as I've included excerpts from two of my novels, Steam and Luvya Getcha.  I'll be making Africar free, so hopefully a few readers will download it and maybe leave a little feedback.

Shirley Oliphant's dream is to take her grandkids on a picnic in a Rolls-Royce.  Her husband, the old KO, finds just the car, a 1974 Rolls-Royce Silver Shadow once owned by a Mr Van Buren, who brought the car back from Africa.  Since his death, seven years ago, the Rolls has been sitting in Mr Van Buren's garage, keeping a secret.  A deadly secret.  And the old KO is about to discover that secret, and unleash it.

So that's the outline, which is straightforward enough.  The problem is, the story has the potential to be a novel.  In fact, I've already made substantial notes with a view to writing a Part 2.  I don't really want to do it, though.  I have enough to be getting on with.  Still, I don't think any writer can help how a story ends.  The potential for it to be bigger is always there, I'm afraid.

Anyhow, it's a cold, rainy day here in Southsea, England.  We had the grandchildren over last night, and took them to see the movie, The Book of Life, which was pretty good, although I think it scared the youngest, Elijah, a little.  He slept well, though, and ate a hearty breakfast, which I didn't, due to my tooth problem.  Still, after writing Africar, I'm kind of glad I don't have a Rolls-Royce to take the grandkids on a picnic in.  Shirley Oliphant is welcome to hers.  She can keep it.

          

No comments:

Post a Comment